ForeverJoy Designs

Holiday Open House | Come on in!

Christmas is not far away- and I am winding things down at the drawing board for a few days to be sure to enjoy some unplugged time with the family.  I have to tell you,
taking time off is one of the hardest things to do when you work on your own- especially with a home office- because the temptation to get a few more things done is always there. But this year- with the knowledge that Christmas won’t soon look like they have these past 15 years- with Ryan getting ready to go to college soon and Liam approaching 9- I know I have to make a real effort to give our Holiday season my front and center attention.

But- the paradox is- this year- as I focused on really making sure the magic of the season came alive in our home- I found myself doing a little less- and all of us enjoying it a little more. Instead of bringing down all 6 boxes of decorations and filling every corner with Christmas nick-knacks-  I only brought down 2 boxes. Instead of putting all the decorations on the tree and 6 strands of lights- I only put my most favorite on- and put 3 strands of jumbo lights.  And call me a hum bug- but I really dread putting lights up outside- and then taking them down just a few weeks later. So, instead, we put some live evergreens in a planter and a pretty wreath on the door and called it done. I think my best trick this year was replacing endless trips to the mall with late nights with a nice cuppa tea online shopping. And unless they read this post- I know for a fact that the boys haven’t noticed a thing being different. Except maybe that Mom is a little less harried this year.

Now, this time of year its no secret I get a little mushy and can’t help telling friends and family how much they mean to me. So of course, I had to take a moment out and tell you all how very much your comments, emails and support has meant to me this past year. I love seeing your #joycreated in my shoppe gallery and on my social media feeds! ForeverJoy has grown to a wonderful point- and I have a drawing board full of designs and plans I can’t wait to share with you all next year! There will be more tutorials and challenges – and we will be starting a Guest Creative team as well. Lot’s of good stuff coming up- and though I will be taking a few days off- we will open the New Year with a new design I am truly in love with lots of fun at the Lilypad including Month of Challenges that I wholeheartedly invite you to play along with!

So let’s wind down this year by having you come over my cozy place in NYC for a little visit and a shared cuppa something warm and tasty!….

Usually I like the old fashioned types of trees- the ones where you can see through the branches.  Around here, they call them “Grandma Trees” because they are the ones you used to be able to put candles on- back before the days of fire codes I guess. We drove around for two nights- and not one of those trees were to be found- but this one came in a close second. It’s from North Carolina- and it smells divine!! You can see my little electric fire place here too- I would love to have a real one- but this will have to do for now. The red slipcover on my little chair comes out for the Holidays- You’ll find I often “dress” my furniture for the seasons. Ikea makes it super easy to change the look with their slipcovers- and makes it semi-sane to have white furniture with two boys! One of the  baskets under the table holds seasonal photo albums. My December Dailys fill them up these days. The boys love going through them!

The dining room is kind of the heart of this home.  We share our meals here, play board games, do homework, pay bills, make projects and laugh and share the events of our everydays. Sometimes it’s dressed with pretty table clothes and china- often there are just a few place mats and a candle. I hope that looking back- my boys will always remember it as a place they felt safe and loved. The hutch you see here holds some of my most favorite things in my house. You can see a set of Blue mountain China I bought with my mom at an auction in Pennsylvania one year- I adore this set- not only because its so pretty- but I always remember that sunny day we had such a great time together! While I was bidding on it- little did I know my mom was secretly bidding on it as well to get as a gift for me- we were bidding against each other until we saw one another and then just cracked up! It also holds all my cookbooks- which are dogged eared with favorite recipes and notes.

This cabinet in my kitchen holds my other favorites- pink depression-ware glasses and favorite piecs of china.  I love to collect china- and use them all throughout the year.  Sometimes people will say- “aren’t you afraid to put that out- it’s so nice?” But I think that if you don’s use it- it will never have any memories attached to it- and that’s really what makes something special-right? You can also see my little goose here. I have an embarrassingly large collection of clothes for her. Yes- she takes up counter space- but I love her. This silly little thing makes me smile – especially when i dress her for the next season or celebration. Sh’es been on  my counter for 15 years- so it’s safe to say she’s a part of the family!  PS- if you look way on top- you can see Jingles- the little elf that hides in our home during the Holidays! He’s very tricky!

This is the place where all good things happen! Morning cups of coffee are born here- breakfast, lunch, snacks, dinners, cocktails, desserts and more snack all come from this little piece of real estate! I am a big foodie- and love to cook- so this is my happy place for sure. The window looks out onto our yard where I can watch the little guy playing- and will soon be filled with paper whites.  I plant them after Christmas through February to keep the winter doldrums at bay. So- now that we are here- what can I get you? A cup of coffee? Some tea? Some sweets? Whatever it is- let me say this first- from the bottom of me heart- thank you for your support! It never fails to feel awesome when I see ForeverJoy designs used in your memory keeping! I wish you all the very best for the Holidays- joys big and small and a very wonderful New Year!

You Might Also Like...

20 Comments

Anonymous
    December 18, 2014 at 5:47 pm

My post disappeared! So I'm sorry if this is a repeat; just delete! But, as I was saying, what a lovely home! Very inviting and I'd love to come in for a cuppa. 🙂 Merry Christmas!

Anonymous
    December 18, 2014 at 5:47 pm

rennemarie
    December 19, 2014 at 10:03 am

🙂 Thank you! Have a wonderful holiday!

rennemarie
    December 19, 2014 at 10:03 am

🙂 Thank you! Have a wonderful holiday!

Donna
    December 19, 2014 at 11:20 am

Loved seeing your home. I have become a huge fan since first seeing your work. I am the happy owner of many of your kits. You create absolutely beautiful things! Amazing use of color! Happy holidays!

Donna
    December 19, 2014 at 11:20 am

Anonymous
    December 19, 2014 at 12:03 pm

No surprise that the designer of such beautiful kits, would have such a knack for decorating a home so beautifully! Thanks so much for inviting us in, I loved seeing it! I will take a virtual cuppa please. 😉 Wishing you every Christmas happiness! From Jodi Collins Knowles

Anonymous
    December 19, 2014 at 12:03 pm

rennemarie
    December 19, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Jodi- this is so nice- thank you! Have a wonderful holiday! xo!

rennemarie
    December 19, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Jodi- this is so nice- thank you! Have a wonderful holiday! xo!

Heather Prins
    December 19, 2014 at 4:06 pm

wow this post is awesome!! Is that really your home? Its so beautiful and inviting, TFS! When i think of new york I think of Manhattan and the hustle and bustle of the city and I dream of visiting there someday. Do you live in the city? Thank you so much for the gift! And thank you for such beautiful, heartfelt kits- I love them! Merry Christmas to you and your family x0x0

Heather Prins
    December 19, 2014 at 4:06 pm

rennemarie
    December 19, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Lol! I don't live in Manhattan- but was just telling my son how cool it would be for him to live there! I went to school in the Village and all that energy was awesome not to mention your choice of sushi, falafel so or a big burger at 2am! But nowadays I like my little home on the semi-suburban side. It's just 30 minutes from the city- but I get a nice little yard to escape to ? thank you for the smile Heather! Have a wonderful holiday! Xo

rennemarie
    December 19, 2014 at 4:15 pm

rennemarie
    December 19, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Donna! You made me smile SO BIG! Thank you! Have a wonderful holiday! Xoxo

rennemarie
    December 19, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Donna! You made me smile SO BIG! Thank you! Have a wonderful holiday! Xoxo

PLM
    December 22, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Renne, loved discovering your house!! It's warm, inviting and cozy! I bet your boys always feel loved when they are home. Love ya girl!

PLM